Saturday, November 13, 2010

Birds in the electric box

The electric box attached to the outside wall of my flat has provided me with some enjoyable moments of excitement and curiousity. Not only is it the place I go to check the electricity level, as well as load prepaid electricity codes, but also a place I have visited to view Mother Nature in the works.

When I first arrived here in July, there was only an empty nest in the right corner of the electric box. Figuring it was an abandoned nest, I did not plan to see any birds or eggs hiding out in the nest. Much to my surprise, one day I was greeted by bird life upon checking the electric box. I now do not remember which I found first, the sitting bird or the eggs, but regardless, I was excited to see some signs of spring life here in South Africa.


I was excited to check in on the eggs every few days, always standing back in anticipation of the protective bird that would fly out from its post on the nest when I would open the cover to the electric box. I thought the eggs would sit and mature longer than they did, so the day opened the box and found hatched baby birds, I felt like I had found a secret treasure.


Once the birds got strong and flew the coop, I figured that was it for my bird watching in the electric box. I was again surprised a few weeks later, when there were another 3 eggs in the nest. A few more weeks later, and 3 more hatched birds out of the nest, and I was left wondering if I would get to see a third batch of spring birds. There have not been any more since, but I have enjoyed passing the time with the first two batches, enjoying watching and waiting on the natural wonders of the world.




No comments: